Exhibition Themes > History of Science, Mathematics, Technology > 173. Delano & Aldrich
173. Delano & Aldrich. Marine Terminal, LaGuardia Airport. Pencil on tracing paper, (50.8 x 36.2 cm.), 1943. Avery Library, Drawings and Archives, Delano & Aldrich Collection
With their society connections, Delano and Aldrich were widely known as architects of urban clubs, such as Manhattan's Union, Knickerbocker, and Colony Clubs, and country estates, including the Charles Lindbergh and Otto Kahn residences. They worked extensively at Yale University, Delano's alma mater. Delano and Aldrich were also responsible for a large-scale renovation of the White House under Harry Truman. At the end of their career, they designed airfields for Pan-Am in Florida, Panama, and Guam. The firm received this commission for the Marine Terminal at LaGuardia in the late 1940s. The terminal is still the departure gate for the Boston shuttle, and thousands of passengers walk through this building everyday and admire the decoration.
Avery is the largest repository of drawings of the work of Delano and Aldrich. The original gift by Delano was in 1951. The next and largest gift, including over 6,500 drawings and 3,000 photographs, was donated by the estate of the successor firm headed by Alexander McIlvaine. Subsequent donations of the drawings of the Knickerbocker, Colony, and Union clubs have come into the collection in the last several years. Delano's personal papers are at Yale University.