Places > South Field
South Field, 1915-1922
The current lawns in the middle of campus, now known as South Lawn, once formed a contiguous strip of grass where football games, practices and other sporting events were held. South Field, as it was called, opened as a practice field when the University moved to Morningside Heights in 1897 and was the home field for football games from 1915 to 1922. Before South Field, Columbia played their home games at the “Columbia Oval” in Williamsbridge, Manhattan Field and even the Polo Grounds. As part of a tradition established in 2015, Columbia’s football team conducts a pre-game walk-through on South Lawn on Fridays before home games.